I think there is something magical about preparing meals. Is that lame? I probably get too excited about mundane things in life. But come on, life would be... mundane.... if I didn't.
SO preparing meals.
It all starts off with an idea. And then a hunt for a good recipe. And then, unlike my mother, who always seems to have every ingredient she ever needs, I usually have to go shopping to get all the supplies. And then ingredients fill my counter tops. And then ingredients slowly combine and cook or whatever I am doing with them and the mixtures create something entirely new. And my family gathers around and I nourish them with the goodness that came from my idea and work. And bellies that were once empty are now full of goodness.
I think it fulfills some kind of nurturing/mothering instinct I have.
So tonight I made Simple Sesame Noodles (only I added cilantro and shrimp) and it was a huge hit. We all loved it. I am adding it to my list of favorite recipes.
Now to pay homage to a few of my culinary heros: The women I aspire to be like, especially in the kitchen.
My mother, the one with all the ingredients. She can feed an army, literally. She takes a can of... anything... and transforms it into a whole lot of YUM. It's never fancy, but always good. My sister-in-law Candria who always prepares the most delicious food. I have never gone to her house and not eaten something amazingly.... delicious. And she does it with ease and grace, while juggling 4 little ones.
I am trying to try new things in my cooking. So now I need more amazing recipes. Any suggestions on things I should try? I am considering learning the art of Cinnamon Rolls. Or maybe bread. Or maybe a Philly Cheese Steak.
Oh... the options are limitless.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
oh my little grandma. how i love you.
There is something about cooking AND eating that is magical (IF you see the magic). I love the post. I'm always looking for new recipes (I'm a wanna be cook) Isn't cilantro the greatest thing ever?
Oh and after seeing that pict of Adney's b-day cupcakes, I'm totally craving one.
Ahhhhhh, you are awfully sweet. I don't know what to say, besides: I sure have you fooled! :)
haha, cute! You need to post that noodle recipe, that sounds good!
Haha!! Your So Funny! If only i viewed prepareing meals like that. Maybe i would decide i liked to cook. :)
I totally agree! I read something once that said home-cooked meals (and this is just someone's opinion... nothing scientific) have an extra "X-chromosome" or "X-factor" of love that helps sustain, enrich, and nurture life. I've never forgotten that! Way to go, Homemaker! :)
I suspect you are a much more able cook than you have described yourself to be. Your noodles sound scrumptious. I've spent some time reading earlier entries in your blog. I love its tone and your tales of the wonderful people who make up your life. You and they are very lucky. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
Post a Comment