So I try to keep an open mind to all the different kinds of ways people like to give birth. At home, in a tub, with medicine, without medicine, with a midwife, with a doula, with a doctor. I figure as long as you have a healthy baby and mommy in the end, to each their own.
But this is how my ideal birth plan goes:
I go into labor at 9am, after a long night of sleep. My mom and husband are at the ready to take me to the hospital and Adney gets picked up by my mother in law.
By 9:15 I get to the hospital and get checked in. I get the nicest nurse there who happens to have no other patients or responsibilities, but to tend to my every want and need.
By 10:00 am, I get an epidural, never really feeling any horrible birth pains, but knowing that they are surely on there way.
From 10:00-Noon I have pleasant conversation with my Husband and Mom. Have a few visitors.
At Noon, I am dilated to a ten and ready to push. And my favorite doctor, Doctor Meredith, delivers me.
At 12:15 I have a perfectly healthy and beautiful baby boy.
Yeah, I know, I am kind of a wuss. But here is my reasoning. I hate pain. And I want to be able to enjoy being in labor and not have any feelings of wishing I was dead, or panic that something might be wrong with my baby.
This was my birthing plan for Adney too. It didn't work out this way. Nope not at all. And it never does. It went better than this and definitely better than this ..... but still, no where as close to painless or ideal as I had planned. In fact when I think about Adney's birth story, all I can really remember is PAIN, more PAIN, a druggy haze (just say no to the Demerol) , exhaustion, and then perfect little Adney (who was the best part without contest).
I know that just for having such an ideal easy going birthing plan, it will go the opposite way. My little boy has a plan of his own. And I have a feeling it will go something like this:
Pain
Pain
More Pain
Screaming and Crying
3am Birth
At least this time, I know what to expect a little bit. And I have 9 weeks (more or less) to prepare for it.
To all you mother's in the know: Any advice?
Saturday, May 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
EPIDURAL!! Don't take a shower thinking you have time... Call ahead asking for the epidural!
Truthfully, I ALWAYS stress about how it's going to go and always ends up just fine in the end. All you really need is that baby in your arms. (Although epidurals are very, very, nice!)
Oh boy. Gee that's like my ideal dream right now...hahaha I am I going to have a wake up call when I have my first one...
I would say if you want an epidural, definitely try for one. But I know several women who were not able to get relief from their epidural for whatever reason.
Knowing how to manage pain with relaxation is a good thing! I recommend checking out a book called Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. She has exercises to help you learn to relax with the help of your husband. By the time you are in loads of pain, it is too late to try to relax on your own. You will want to start relaxing before the pain gets too bad. And you can always still get an epidural if they work for you.
Oh. My. Gosh. Reading those other birthing stories - what a hoot! Umm, I really haven't thought too much about a "birthing plan" -- I guess thinking that my little guy will surprise me too has kept me from it! But thanks for putting that first and foremost on my radar screen! I am so not ready, that is for sure! And here's to hoping your birthing plan comes true!
did you not have an epidural the first time?
Post a Comment