“This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.” (President Thomas S. Monson "Finding Joy in the Journey" Ensign Nov 2008, p 84-87 )
Ok, consider me chastised. It got me thinking about what is most important to me. And even though I know I would NEVER leave my family for real to escape to a tropical beach somewhere, the desire to be somewhere else did cross my mind a lot that day. What did I miss while I was irritated? How many times had the spirit tried to whisper and I was too distracted to listen? How many opportunities to kiss my family and cherish them had I let slip by? How often do I miss the here and now because I am not patient enough, or too distracted?
So I am making a new month's resolution. (I can do that right? Am I going to be contacted by father time telling me resolutions are only for the new year?) I am resolving to pay more attention to what is most important. You other distractions can take a hike for a while.
Rock-a-bye Baby
Cleaning and scrubbing
can wait 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up,
we've learned to our sorrow.
can wait 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up,
we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs,
Dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep.
Dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep.



7 comments:
Loved what you shared, thank you. So now you can lounge on a beach and your boys can play on the sand. Escaping still, but with your boys! Totally works.
Don't you love subtle reminders... I can't tell you how many times i have heard those through the radio in my car. People who gripe about evils in technology must not be tuned in to the right channels.
Thank you for this. I too am always thinking and looking forward to the future: things like what I'd do while the kids are in school, picking them up from school and having them tell me about their day, what it will be like to not have a toddler anymore, not have toys scattered throughout. But then I realize that we have such a short time with them being so little that we should just soak it up as much as we can.
Awww, Miriam!! This is such a sweet post! Thank you for sharing. I love how Heavenly Father tells us things we need to hear, and luckily you're such a great person that you turned on that LDS station and could receive that counsel. You're such a good example!
love this, thanks for posting
Miriam thanks for sharing this. I needed to hear this after today! Thanks so much! It is definitely true. Sometimes I get so flustered with the small things that Hannah does that I don't realize what I really am missing.
I love you Miriam!
Post a Comment