Sunday, February 28, 2010

The way filled with the most love.

I have been thinking about my Mom and Dad lately. Being a parent makes you think of your own parents completely differently. My pre-parenthood attitude towards my parents was generally loving and grateful. I knew they were good parents, that they loved me and only wanted the best for me. But since I have become a parent, their love, their sacrifices, their heartaches, worries and pains have become so much more real to me.

My parents got married pretty young. My Mom was 19 and my Dad was 22, fresh off of his mission in Australia. They got pregnant right away. I'm pretty sure my oldest sister Anna was a product of their honeymoon. My Dad was in trade school and working for his dad's Heating and Air Conditioning company. My mom had horrible morning sickness. They were poor as dirt. I think my dad made $3/hour. They worked hard, and long hours, and they loved each other very much. My mom learned to be thrifty and resourceful pretty quick. She pinched and bargain shopped and learned to sew, and cook on a very small budget. Whenever I feel sorry for myself because we are poor, or because we work so hard to make it all work, I always think of my young, newlywed parents. And things don't seem so hard.

Like I mentioned, my Mom had a hard time with pregnancy. She was often very very ill whenever she was pregnant. I experienced very light morning sickness in comparison to what my Mom went through. And when she was pregnant, they didn't do much for it, until her last pregnancy, which she spent months of in the hospital. Even though it was hard for my Mom, she never hesitated to get pregnant. She knew God wanted her to raise a big family. She is currently a mother to 7 children. That might sound crazy to some of you. Why would she put herself through that? I have wondered that many times myself. From the moment she even had thoughts of conception, she was selfless. She knew she was going to be miserable, but she knew their was a little spirit in heaven who needed her to be their mother, so she never thought twice about it. And though it is filled with heartache at time, that selflessness continues still.

My Dad has 6 daughters and 1 son. He is one of the hardest working people I know, right along with my own husband. And yet, he was always there. He owns his own business, which has had its ups and downs, but it has always been just a way to provide for his family to him. He doesn't love it, I'm pretty sure he never has. It's hard labor with long hours most of the time. But he was good at it, and it provided a good life for his family. We were always his number 1 priority. I can't even think of a hobby that my Dad has. He never had time for one. He was always either working or spending time with his family. Once again, selfless.

Sorry, this is getting long winded. 

My Mom and Dad have lived hard lives in some ways. They never took the easy way. They never even considered it. They took the way filled with the most love. They have lived deeply, and passionately. And when they die (which I secretly hope they never will) they will have left a rich heritage of love, and work, and more love. And hopefully their children will do the same. I know I plan to.

Thanks Mom and Dad, I love you.

2 comments:

Candria said...

Very sweet post Miriam!

Breeana said...

This is so sweet! Wow... and that IS selfless of your mom. I recently thought I was pregnant and I was miserable from sleep-deprivation thinking, "What the heck?! I can't get pregnant again!" I need to work on being more selfless....

(P.S. I secretly hope my parents won't ever die either..)

P.P.S. My parents also have 6 girls and 1 boy!