Sunday, January 24, 2010

Country Living


For those of you who know me.... I didn't grow up in the country. I grew up in a quiet suburb of Indianapolis. But I married a country boy, and even though it might not be forever (or so I tell myself), we live in the country now.

There are a lot of good things to country living.
1. The scenery. When I look out my window I see fields of grain and horses.... not a parking lot... or another building 5 feet away.
2. It's quiet. No car alarms or slamming doors or freeways in the country. Just the faint moo-ing of the cows down the road. (We also don't have to hear "The newlyweds")
3. It's dark. The stars are incredibly bright on clear nights. And even without blackout curtains, it is pitch black in my bedroom at night.
4. The rent is cheap. Let's face it... we would be paying double for where we live if it was in town.
5. I can have the biggest garden in the world this summer.... if I want. I've never had a garden before. And would have no idea what I am doing. But it sounds fun... Anyone want to join me?

But lets look at some of the weird things of country living.
1. There was a stray cat fight on our front porch last night. We woke up to cat hair and blood all over this morning. Gross.
2. It smells.... sometimes. Some people like the "sweet smell" of manure. No thanks.
3. I have never met our neighbors.... ever. We live far enough apart that it has never come up.
4. Critters. Mice (ew).... raccoons.... opossums... cats (see #1)... dogs.... snakes... Shall I go on?
5. It takes me 12 minutes (more or less) to get to Walmart. I know... it could be worse.

I am trying to live in the moment and cherish our little adventure in the country but....I think I am more of a suburb kind of girl. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me :) Now if I can only convince my country boy.

(note: picture is NOT actually a picture from my window)

8 comments:

The Clews Crew said...

"Hearing the newlyweds" LOL!! We've all been there haven't we. I guess other people have probably heard us sometimes too, so what do you do? I grew up in the country and while I love, love the quiet and the slower pace of life, it is sooooo nice to be right across the street from the grocery store. It's a toss up, but I'm kind of with you. A nice, friendly suburb would be ideal, I think.

Sarah said...

I was excited to find your blog! I'm envious of you living in the country - that would be so fun!!

I saw your comment on my blog - so funny how close we are! I totally stole the baby ticker thing from you... So sad for you how sick you've been. I hope you've been feeling better.

Breeana said...

Haha! This post is hilarious! I love it. I'm a suburb kind of girl too and Cody is most definitely a city boy.

And sorry about my number! We just changed phones and plans from Verizon to Sprint. My new number is 208.403.9706.

Call ANYTIME! I'm sad I missed you call! I'd love to get together and do lunch sometime! Or you and Adney could just come on over and we could make something over here (or at your place, whichever!) since going out isn't always tons of "fun" with small ones. :)

And WOW, I can't believe he's almost 3! You do not look old enough to have a 3 year old. ;)

Tiffani Harris said...

Where are you guys? I'm guessing not in Everett Place apartments anymore. Cute post though...I'm not so sure about country living either.

Miriam Lusk said...

We live in Lyman... Just down the Archer Highway a bit.

Garling Ranch said...

We have totally switched roles! Living in the city is crazy for me. It makes me miss all the things you listed of living in the country.

Mare said...

oh you know it is a toss up. I used to miss my city life but after a long night of listening to drunken neighbors and knowing that 50% of people around us are not american and don't speak english I kind of miss the slow pass idaho. It is a toss up. Maybe if we all could afford a house in a quite neighborhood with a big yard i would settle in the city for sure.

I do not miss the view from Idaho homes of some eles trash yard filled with old farm equipment and worn down cars. Oh who knows I guess it is good I don't have to decide now.

P.s. I like the new blog look!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha... Try living in Orderville, though it can be nice at midnight and beautiful at six am, tis an 1 1/2 hr from "town" yet right on the tourist highway for 3 national parks!