So there are a million other things that are more important that I could be blogging about right now. But when you finally feel the urge, you just go with it.
Am I the only one who constantly feels like their home is in disarray? I mean I stay home all day long with Adney and always I just assumed that I would be amazing at it. Perfectly organized shelves and cupboards, well designed and thought out accessories. The faint smell of Lemon or Cinnamon or both.
But when it comes down to it... being a homemaker is no small task. It cannot be done well by a thoughtless diaper changing drone. There is thought and planning and creativity involved. And most of all.... WORK. It can either be the biggest thorn in your side, or something you do well.... like a well practiced instrument. It is leaning more towards being a thorn in my life. It is not that I am lazy. But I am not well organized and I am a impulse cleaner, meaning I don't like to do it all day every day. I mostly just clean when the mood strikes me or when the mess it too bad for me to stomach anymore.
And I am not even a home-owner. But will be someday and then I will have gardens to plant and lawns to mow and sidewalks to shovel in addition to the many many baskets of laundry to wash and dry and fold and put away. Not to mention dishes, meals to plan and cook, children to be tended, and don't even get me started on dusting and vacuuming and mopping and.... oh it's exhausting just thinking about it.
So what is my problem? Where am I going wrong? Did I assume incorrectly that one could simply get married and the home-making thing would come naturally. There is obviously a learning curve that I missed... or maybe I will never be good at it. Maybe I will always be embarrassed at the thought of having my in-laws over for dinner tomorrow. Maybe Tupperware will always come pouring out of my cabinets when I open them. Who knows.
All I know is that anyone who assumes that being a Stay At Home Mom is easy- has never tried it.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
You are awesome. Thanks for sharing. It's so nice to know that someone feels the same way I do every day. And yes, being a stay at home mom is more work than I ever, ever thought it would be.
All I have to say is AMEN and AMEN! You have no idea how many loads ofd laundry are piled up on our floor right now. I too am glad that I am not the only one who struggles with the homemaker duties! And even if I work hard to clean everything, in a few days....back to normal again. I think when it comes down it though, spending time with McKyla is more important than having a spotless house at the end of the day. But please tell me if you find anything that works..sooner or later I will need to get good at this!
I don't think there's a mother on the planet that doesn't feel this way. (Except for that one random person who always seems to have it together. I hate that girl.) Anyway, I think you do a great job, Miriam. And I second what Jenny said. Playing with your kids is so much more important than folding laundry. Until you run out of clothes to wear. Then you should do your laundry. :)
You are so right. Time with kids is definatly more important but there has to be some balance. Finding the balance seeems like the challenge of the day....every day of my life. Something I've tried lately that keeps me from feeling guilty all day is giving myself one chore a day and one hour to do it in from 9-10. For instance, Tuesdays are vaccuum the whole house days. So I work on it for an hour then wheather or not it's spotless I'm done and I don't worry about cleaning until the next day. We all know there are times when a mess won't wait, like food spilled on the floor, or times when a kid won't wait, when they're just begging for a story or whatever it is. You deserve all the praise in the world just for choosing to be there trying.I'm proud of you Miriam!
I know I've told you before, but I do the same thing. I have one major cleaning task each day and if nothing else gets done, at least that one does and I sleep better knowing at least something got accomplished. If I can't do it during nap time, then it's either watch a movie time or come help mommy clean time! (They actually think it's pretty cool to have a spray bottle of water and a rag and squirt wherever they think they see dirt!) My house is never totally clean, but there is at least one thing each day that is! Everyone is different. You'll figure out what works for you and what is important to you. Tips are always nice though! I love you Miriam! Way to make the rest of us feel better!
Im slowly but surely realizing that having a clean house is much less important than spending time with Lexi. It is so so hard for me because I HATE a messy house, but Lexi is only going to be this age for so long, and before I know it she will be staying out late making out with Adney :)lol. So I think as long as you are being the awesome mom that you always are, you have fulfilled your duty! You are amazing!
You know Miriam, I agree completely. It is no small task. I can't even imagine how hard it would be with kids. Being a homemaker is the biggest and hardest job, and yes, very underrated! So, way to go you amazing homemaker! At least you clean when you need to. That's all that really matters. Don't get too stressed out over a clean house right now, just enjoy the moments you have with Adney, Kyle, and your family.
P.S. Maybe you could hire a cleaning lady. I have heard that helps a ton. Might be expensive though. :(
I don't know what to say, I totally can't relate. My house is always perfect, my kids are perfect, I just have it all together....:) (I wish)
Are you related to me...?
Sounds kinda familiar. Just sayin :) I HATE cleaning. It haunts me every day every minute.
Post a Comment